Degrees and Certifications:
Dr. Jan DeLay
RE-1 Valley Schools are Preparing Each Student Today for Tomorrow!
It is my pleasure to be working with you. Welcome Back to our returning staff and Welcome Home to our new colleagues!
As we prepare to embark on another year, we face new opportunities and challenges in advancing our common mission: Preparing Each Student Today for Tomorrow.
I also want to take a moment to reflect on all that we've undertaken. We’ve made great progress in our quest to ensure all students graduate ready for success in college and career. Consider some of our key accomplishments:
- Expanded Career Tech Ed programs that offer professional certificates for career ready graduates;
- Launched a Health and Wellness Initiative with grant funding for the next four years and hired two health and wellness coordinators to enhance opportunities for students and staff;
- Grew our award winning music programs for more student opportunities at secondary levels;
- Expanded a successful blended learning online program that creates additional learning opportunities for secondary students;
- Maintained our full day kindergarten for all RE-1 Valley students, thus providing early learning equity for all and attracting families;
- Continued refining our Multi-Tiered System of Support with Social Emotional Learning including assistance from university and research partnerships;
- Continuous improvement work with teachers integrating Colorado Academic Standards into RE-1 Valley Frameworks to insure consistent alignment of learning goals through the grade levels;
Not all of what we’ve achieved can be easily quantified. Our students are thinking critically. They are engaged in our classrooms. We see rich discussions and deep thinking about the content and concepts they are learning. They are making connections we never asked them to make before. These are outcomes that go beyond standardized test scores – we are truly preparing students for life after school.
Of course, our journey is far from over, and I look forward to building on these successes and making even more progress this year. We’ve set a number of priorities to move ourselves forward, including continued work with system wide Social Emotional Learning to improve 21st century skills required by future employers and predictive of success throughout life; continued integration of technology into everyday learning as a tool to increase student engagement; continued integration between all grade levels of our Colorado Academic Standards and RE-1 Valley Frameworks.
This work is not easy, and none of us can accomplish it alone. Each person in our learning community – our teachers, parents, school counselors, mental health professionals, technology specialists, support staff, that includes bus drivers, school maintenance, food services, paras, and all the other professionals we work with – plays a critical role in helping our students succeed. We are working together to help all students reach their full potential.
We all need support in this critical work that impacts our students. The science of how students learn is ever-evolving, as are the technologies that students have available to assist them in the learning process. Our core values include providing staff the time and resources needed to stay up-to-date on best practices that will help everyone in the district reach students even more effectively.
Here at RE-1 Valley School District we are a community of professionals, and I feel privileged to be a part of this team. Thank you for all that you do.
Jan Marie DeLay, Ph.D